The Detroit Tigers are an American professional baseball team based in Detroit. The Tigers compete in Major League Baseball as a member of the American League Central division.
The team which plays its home games at the Comerica Park in Detroit has had many great players who contributed very massively to the growth and wins of the team.
Detroit Tigers are headed by A. J. Hinch with its owner being Christopher Ilitch who has run the affairs of the baseball team for a while now.
Ilitch Holdings controls the business interests of the Ilitch family, which includes the Little Caesars pizza chain, the Detroit Tigers baseball team, and the Detroit Red Wings hockey team. Subsidiary Olympia Entertainment owns Detroit’s Fox Theatre and operates Comerica Park, Joe Louis Arena, and Cobo Arena.
The Detroit Tigers have won four World Series championships (1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984) as well as winning four NFL championships (1935, 1952, 1953, and 1957).
Detroit Tigers Retired Jersey Numbers
The Detroit Tigers have retired a couple of jersey numbers including;
- #2 Charlie Gehringer (Retired June 12, 1983)
- #3 Alan Trammell (Retired August 26, 2018)
- #5 Hank Greenberg (Retired June 12, 1983)
- #6 Al Kaline (Retired August 17, 1980)
- #11 George “Sparky” Anderson (Retired June 26, 2011)
- #16 Hal Newhouser (Retired July 27, 1997)
- #23 Willie Horton (Retired July 15, 2000)
- #47 Jack Morris (Retired August 12, 2018)
- #42 Jackie Robinson (Retired throughout baseball in 1997)