Who Founded Chicago White Sox?
The Chicago White Sox was founded by Charles Comiskey.
The White Sox were created as a minor league franchise in 1894 and were originally known as the Sioux City (Iowa) Cornhuskers. Charles Comiskey bought the team at the end of its first season and transferred it to St. Paul, Minnesota.
Charlie “Commy” Comiskey was an American Major League Baseball player, manager, and team owner. He was called “Commy” or “The Old Roman.” In 1882, Comiskey began his professional baseball career with the St. Louis Browns, and he was a key figure in the founding of the American League. He was a member of the squad for six years and served as a player-coach for five of those years.
A Sioux City club in the Western League soon was owned by him and he transferred it to St. Paul. Comiskey became the owner of a Chicago team he dubbed the White Stockings in 1901 when the Western League was renamed the American League.
After a while, they changed their moniker to the White Sox to make headlines easier to write about them. For the first time on July 1, 1910, Chicago inaugurated Comiskey Park, which would become home to the White Sox for the next 81 years. When the White Sox built and renamed Comiskey Park in his honor, he was the driving force behind it.