Who is Alex Montoyo Charlie Montoyo’s Son?

Alex Montoyo is the second child of Coach charlie Montoyo and his wife Samantha.

Alexander was born on October 17, 2008, at 1 p.m. in Tucson. The delivery was lightning fast.

When Samantha gave birth, Charlie was having lunch with Tyson. She was escorted to a triage room to relax while holding her apparently healthy son.

Then, Samantha adds, “They came in and informed me they were calling a cardiologist.” “That’s when I realized something wasn’t right.”

After Charlie returned from lunch, the cardiologist informed the Montoyos that Alex had Ebstein’s abnormality, a serious congenital cardiac defect that affects one in every 25,000 infants.

Only one chamber of the heart functions with Ebstein’s disease, thus blood isn’t pumped in the right quantity or direction.

Alex would require extensive heart surgery if he was suffering from the most severe form of the disease. Immediately.

Alexander is a Greek name that means “man’s defender, fighter.” The Montoyos chose this name for their second kid because “it was the only one we could agree on after searching through an entire baby book,” Samantha Montoyo chuckles.

Alex was evacuated to Phoenix Children’s Hospital around 1:30 a.m. Samantha insisted on being released early so that she and Charlie could be with their son.

Alex had open-heart surgery less than a week later. Samantha froze after that, while she was going through her son’s charts.

The Tucson cardiologist had written at the bottom of a note to Alex’s transport team that Alex was not anticipated to survive the trip.

“That was difficult to hear,” Charlie adds, his eyes welling up as he shakes his head. Because physicians believed Alex would need a heart transplant, the Montoyos lingered in Phoenix for another month.

Alex had a balloon placed into his heart while at Children’s. Doctors opened his chest, fractured his ribs, and implanted a shunt in his heart to divert blood flow not long after.

For fear of disrupting the IVs, the Montoyos were only allowed to touch their son’s hands, feet, and head.

Alex went aboard a helicopter for the second time in mid-November, this time to UCLA, where he would have numerous more treatments, including a second open-heart surgery.

Charlie recalls, “My wife was telling me how horrible it was in the ICU.” “We only had curtains, and we didn’t even have our own room as we did in Phoenix.”

And this was only a few days before Thanksgiving. But it was worth it if they could help him.


Write A Comment